Tuesday, July 13, 2010

New Chapter

Now, what you have all been waiting for....

Monday July 12 - Official Start Day!

Disney has their act together! Let me tell you what, you must have clearance for everything! Apparently, I am currently privileged with the ability to drive up to my "office" in the back lot of Disneyland since all other full-time employees are permitted to parking in the parking structure and then bike to their offices. It was the oddest thing to see hundreds of bikes and several bike stations on the back lot of Disney, but the back lot is huge and if you can only drive to a certain point, then it only makes sense that the Company would provide employees with other means of transportation to their respective offices in the back.

Disclaimer: Disney may very well be the only company that makes decisions that actually make sense for employees as well as customers/guests! It's exhilarating!!!

However, I must also warn you that due to the nature of the Company policies, there is very little I can tell you all. The Company is very smart in ensuring the safety and security of physical and intellectual property.

I started the day out with a walk in The Park, looking at the different kinds of signage, "show" (attraction) fronts, and vendor displays. We headed back to the back lot for a meeting of an attraction in development. I was sent out to take a photo for a photo shoot. Came back, took a tour of Disney's California Adventures. And then back to the office for practice with scales and graphic sheets.

By the way, even before I arrived, I had my own cubicle, supplied with a desktop computer, ergonomic chair, side work bench, movie concept posters and my name on my name plate with Mickey already fabricated to my cubicle! Not that I'm trying to gloat or anything! :)


Today I started out in Glendale with an official sign-in process of paperwork-signing, badge gettin' and tourin'. I also went into Mickey's Glendale (which I believe may be an employee's only store), where I also received a free copy of Walt Disney Imagineering book, second ed.

Headed back to my office in Anaheim and started my "fall back" project.

I don't know what else I can do to convey how much I LOVE THIS!!! I am finally working a job that involves my degree that almost killed me to complete! I am surrounded by brilliant, creative, unique, welcoming, intelligent, out-going, fun-loving, happy, respectable people who are always willing to answer questions! Plus I'M AT DISNEY!!!

I'm happy.

I do want my friends and family with me. Though I may be lonely, I do have a full schedule of a traditional work day complemented with a full night's work of organizing a place to live for the next three months. Which, by the way, I still haven't found one. Well, that may be a lie, I found a great place, just not sure if I will make an offer yet or not. Ah, the decisions I must make as I start on my journey in the New Chapter of my life!

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! AND, You're blogging about it!! Double Yay!! I'm looking forward to hearing more!! (Wow!! So many exclamation points!! Can't stop now!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog brought me to tears. i have started to believe that there are companies and work situations that you have described. i am incredibly happy that it is true. it heightens my faith. i look forward to hearing more! miss you, laura

    ReplyDelete