Monday, July 12, 2010

The chapter before this

Hello,
As I say goodbye to college, my part time job at Starbucks, and apparently Fresno, I say Hello to WDI Graphics Internship, to Anaheim and to living away from everything I've known.

From Bakersfield to Fresno, and from elementary to college, my life was leading me toward a goal. Graduate college! My parents instilled in me this most important objective, "No matter what you do, get a college degree!" And thus, I got my college degree. I flip-flopped from Psychology, to Biology, to Graphic Design. As of December 18, 2009 I was certificated with a Bachelors of Arts Degree - Graphic Design Option. Throughout college I created handcrafted beverages at Starbucks. I loved my boss, the actual work and the flexible hours (I'm talking 4am-11pm flexibility!)

But during the time between my graduation and July I had been applying EVERYWHERE. There was nothing I wanted more than to have a job in the field for what I had spent the last three and half years crying and bleeding over. I worked so hard to graduate, I had worked so hard for my A's and it was just not making sense that I couldn't even get a call or response about even having my resume reviewed. I had entered Disney ImaginNations Design Competition with my friend Michael, however we never went passed the first round, so we both counted it as a great learning experience and moved on. I continued creating wedding invitation packages for friends, as well as applying to invitation companies considering my profile was growing in that kind of design.

Maybe I should explain something about Graphic Design.
There are many disciplines within Graphic Design (which doesn't even include DESIGN as a category itself). Graphic Design in its most simplest form is visual communication: getting a point across, communicating to a viewer through use of graphics, images, pictures, typography, layout, color and medium. Graphic Design breaks down into print media, digital media and interactive media. As a designer, one could create websites, brouchers, annual reports, movie posters, dvd title screens, signs, business collateral, stationary, invitations and still be titled a Graphic Designer. So understand that Graphic Design means visual communication.


Anyway.

About two and a half weeks ago I received a call from a recruiter at Walt Disney Imagineering. I hadn't applied to anything with Disney and she had informed me that my group entry for Disney ImagiNations Design Competition was how she found my resume. With in two weeks I interviewed, completed new hire documents and accepted an official offer from Disney to become a Walt Disney Imagineer Graphics Intern!




1 comment:

  1. "I had entered Disney ImaginNations Design Competition with my friend Michael, however we never went PASSED the first round, so we both counted it as a great learning experience and moved on."

    *past

    p.s. you suck

    ReplyDelete